Sunday, May 6, 2007

Anura Nandana Silva (42) has been a fish monger for more than 20 years. He resides on the coastal belt in Moratuwa. His house was destroyed in Boxing Day Tsunami. He rebuilt his house from his own savings.

Anura buys lobsters and crabs from fishermen in Dehiwala, and walks to Wellawatte daily to sell them on roads.

"I earn Rs.2,000/= daily as an average income. I save some money as I do not have to pay a rent to anybody, because I am on mobile. I choose a place according to the demand. I walk from Dehiwala to Wellawatte now to sell lobsters. A kilo of lobster is sold for Rs.750/=.

Sometimes I walk to Bambalapitty to sell lobsters and jumbo prawns, if there is a demand. My regular customers convey the message to me, if there is a demand in other places" said Anura Nandana Silva.

He has three kids to take care, they are still schooling.